Roll wrapped carbon tubes are infinitely customizable and perfect for a variety of applications for which weight and stiffness are important. We have engineered wrapped carbon tubes for use in UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, or drones), hiking sticks, pool cues, gun barrel sleeves, scientific measuring instruments, and antennas. Our wrapped composite tubes are even on Mars as the legs of NASA’s Ingenuity Helicopter!
Roll-wrapped composite tubes start with a mandrel and some pre-preg fabric cut into flags. Pre-preg is carbon or other composite cloth pre-impregnated with resin. We wrap the fabric flags around the mandrel, compact the tube with cellophane tape, and then cure the tube in a special oven. The resin in the pre-preg fabric liquifies in the oven, disperses equally throughout the composite fabric layers, and then solidifies. We finish the tube by extracting the mandrel, removing the cellophane compaction tape, and trimming the ends.
Wrapped composite tubes can be customized to accommodate many variables, including:
- Material – We can create tubes using pre-preg carbon, fiberglass, kevlar, or a combination of different materials
- Size – Wrapped tubes are made to a specific inner and outer diameter, giving you control of wall thickness and size
- Straightness – We can make straight or tapered tubes
- Inner Core – Goodwinds Composites is able to wrap around an inner rod or tube of carbon, fiberglass, or even wood to make a solid rod instead of a wrapped tube
- Stiffness – We can achieve a specific deflection by wrapping more or fewer layers of prepreg to create the finished tube
- Hoop Strength – Goodwinds Composites can engineer your tubes to have extra hoop strength by aligning the flags in specific configurations
- Appearance – We work with all kinds of pre-preg materials to create tubes with a unidirectional fiber wrap, square weave, twill, satin weave, fiberglass/carbon combinations, high-modulus carbon fabric, and so much more.
Goodwinds Composites would love the opportunity to work with you on a custom roll-wrapped product. Please call and talk to Paul today at 206-632-6151.