Custom Wrapped Tubes
Most of the carbon and fiberglass rods and tubes you see in Goodwinds' inventory are manufactured in extremely large batches with "standard" composition and properties. But maybe you're looking for something a bit different: a tube with specific composition and properties to be an exact match to your project. We can help.
Goodwinds Composites builds custom wrapped carbon and fiberglass tubes. Roll-wrapping involves the applying of resin pre-impregnated fiber cloth (pre-preg) around a mandrel. The outer diameter of the mandrel determines the inner diameter of the final tube. The mandrel and cloth are then spiral wrapped with a cellophane tape under and then cured in an oven. After curing, the mandrel is extracted to leave the tube ready for machining or finishing as necessary. Some of the variables we can accommodate include:
- Material - We can create tubes using pre-preg carbon, fiberglass, kevlar, or a combination of different materials
- Size - Wrapped tubes are made to a specific inner and outer diameter, giving you control of wall thickness and size
- Straightness - We can make straight or tapered tubes
- Inner Core - Goodwinds is able to wrap around an inner rod or tube of carbon, fiberglass, or even wood to make a solid rod instead of a wrapped tube
- Stiffness - We can achieve a specific deflection by wrapping more or fewer layers of prepreg to create the finished tube
- Look - We work with all kinds of pre-preg materials to create tubes with a unidirectional fiber wrap, square weave, twill, satin weave, fiberglass/carbon combinations, high-modulus carbon fabric, and so much more.
Goodwinds manufactures high quality, small diameter composite rods through a method we call Micro Pultrusion. Micro Pultruded rods are made from fiber tow drawn through a resin bath and a series of dies and then cured as it's pulled. We manufacture and sell Micro Pultruded carbon in 48" pieces on our Solid Round Carbon Rods page as well as produce custom sizes. Micro Pultruded rods are:
- Between .019" and .125" in diameter
- Made with a Fiber Volume Fraction (FvF) of 65% - 70%
- Have a low tooling cost for custom orders
- Have low minimum orders
- Have a quick turnaround time
- Can be coiled continuously or cut to spec